Faith is an amazing thing...

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit an amazing church in Asheville, NC, where the pastor gave a sermon that illustrated a concept I have taught previously: our faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed.  Intellectually, I accept this - but do I live in such a way that reflects I believe it?

When Jesus indicated that he was both the author and perfecter (or finisher) of our faith...do I live as if I believe that?  "He who began a good work in you will see it on to completion..." again...good stuff to "believe" but do I live as if I believe it?

Available at Amazon.com
What has really inspired me to think about this is a wonderful book I am reading - Miracle at Tenwek: The Life of Dr. Ernie Steury. This American trained surgeon forsook the creature comforts of living in the United States to become a medical missionary at Tenwek Hospital in Bomet, Kenya.  This physician worked tirelessly to provide medical and spiritual care for the Kipsigis people - a people whose lives were inundated with bizarre cultural rituals, witch doctors, and rampant disease.

Story after story illustrates how this mission relied upon God's miraculous intervention to provide resources for additional staff, supplies, or even the first hydroelectric powered dam ever built in Kenya.

As I read these pages, I have asked myself: do I believe God works miracles like that?  If I do, why am I tempted to doubt God's provision to sell our home or for me to find a job when we move?  I read of God's intervention and I pray, "I want this kind of faith, God."  I want the closeness with God where I am moved to action: such as, "During my devotions this morning, I really felt lead to..."

Satan has been beating me up of late. He keeps whispering in my ear, "You're no good, Steve. You've made mistakes. You're worthless...God won't use you like that."  Sadly, I am inclined to listen to him. Why? And I know I am not alone...

I don't want "blab it and grab it" or "name it and proclaim it" faith. I want simple, childlike faith where, when God leads, I know it's Him and I follow.

God...help me to find and walk in your will.  I want real faith...the kind that will spur me on to action - that pleases you.

'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Spiritual Junkie

Book Review: "Get Out of That Pit" by Beth Moore

Review of " TURNAROUND: A Six-Month Plan for Change"