Driving...

It's funny how things in life change. When I was 16, I thought I was going to die while waiting for an opportunity to get my driver's license. When that fateful day came - I failed my driving test. Perhaps it was nerves - in good old Kentucky, you have a State Trooper sitting in the car with you. Nervous is possibly a gross understatement.

When I graduated from high school, my family drove from Kentucky to Florida. The trip was to see my grandmother and served as a type of celebration since I would be joining the U.S. Army a few weeks later. My dad knew I loved to drive and before we piled into the panel van he rented, he tossed me the keys and said, "Here ya go, driver."

Man, was I thrilled. The trip would be a little over 700 miles, take about 13 hours, and would be all highway driving. At the 12th hour, I realized I did not like driving that much. In fact, I never wanted to drive again after that trip. Needless to say, I didn't bother my dad any more with that frequent teenage question, "Hey, can I drive?"

Having spent 20 years criss-crossing the United States for various reasons, or making multiple state journeys, my mind has been somewhat seared: driving is tolerable but not pleasurable.

This morning, as I was driving to another city on business, I was suddenly taken aback when it dawned on me that the drive was somewhat pleasant. The small rural areas that separated the cities of my journey offered a tranquility I have not felt in awhile.

I am a huge believer in mystery drives. If you have the time, take that "right" that you haven't before. You never know what you'll discover. [Make sure you have a GPS enabled phone or one in your car, so you can find your way home...]

I do not know that last time you were able to take a peaceful drive - but if you have the means, or, if you let tranquility interrupt your daily commute, you might just find that driving isn't so bad - after all.

'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Get Out of That Pit" by Beth Moore

Review of Spiritual Junkie

Review of " TURNAROUND: A Six-Month Plan for Change"